Monday, August 16, 2010

In Lieu of 1000 Words: Hermon Mehari & Megan Birdsall at the Drum Room

I wasn’t going to put these up. But I liked them enough I decided to share.

I’ve posted a photo layout before of Megan Birdsall and Hermon Mehari sharing a stage (here). So I wasn’t going to post the same subject again when Hermon emailed me. He and Megan are planning some gigs together. He’d be sitting in with her group at the Drum Room on July 31st. Might I stop by and take some photos of the performance that they could use to promote?

That’s something I’m happy to do for KC’s superb jazz musicians anytime I’m free (just email and ask. My fee? I insist on hearing great music that night).

After reviewing the results, I found myself enjoying some of these enough that I don’t care if I’ve pictured these two together before. Like the neighbor in love with his own vacation shots, I’m showing you this set, too. Besides, this is the first time I’ve posted anything from inside the Drum Room, so there actually is something new to the blog here.

With Megan and Hermon this night were Wayne Hawkins on piano, Zach Beeson on bass and Matt Leifer on drums. Steve Lambert sat in on tenor sax for a set, too. As always, clicking on a photo should open a larger version of it.

Hermon Mehari on trumpet and Megan Birdsall (with Wayne Hawkins obscured by the mic)

Left to right: Steve Lambert (sitting), Wayne Hawkins on electric piano, Zach Beeson on bass, Matt Leifer on drums, Megan Birdsall singing

Hermon Mehari on trumpet

Megan Birdsall

Hermon in silhouette with the band

Megan and Hermon

Hermon, Wayne, Megan and Zach

Hermon Mehari and Megan Birdsall (and Wayne behind the mic)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. If you prefer, you can reach me directly at kcjazzlark(at)gmail(dot)com.